Sunday, May 10, 2009

iTransition

http://itransition.pepnet.org/

My second student teaching placement was with a inclusion high school program. During those two months, I scoured the internet for transition assessments and curriculum, but I didn't come across iTransition by PEPnet until yesterday.

"iTransition is a free, online transition curriculum to help students who are deaf or hard of hearing prepare for life after high school. There are four separate trainings with activities to help students learn about themselves, their career goals, and the skills they need to be successful in the future."
It's My Plan!
Career Interests and Education Choices

This unit includes self-assessments, interest surveys, personality checklists, and career descriptions in the form of a computer-based learning activity AND teacher-administered paper evaluations. What I like most about this CBL activity is that each section includes an ASL video in addition to the reader-friendly print.

iTransition contains three other units that I have not yet explored. First Year College Success: Be the One! requires students to navigate a virtual campus in order to complete various tasks. Essential Skills for College Living: It's My Life! provides training in survival skills including time management, studying, goal setting, and advocacy. Although the target audience for this unit is postsecondary students, I think I could use this in high school. Once I review the unit, I'll write more about it in another post. Finally, iTransition offers an online eFolio. Currently, PEPnet only sets up these portfolios on an individual basis, but I look forward to exploring this resource once they open up their system.

Check out PEPnet to find out more about iTransition, where you can download teacher's guides and register to preview the CBL units.

No comments:

Post a Comment